It was quite an exciting last few days at our house. My parents flew down to Atlanta to spend a week with my Mom's twin sister and her husband. Sunday morning, I get a call bright and early (especially since I had worked until 12:30 the night before) from my Mother saying that my father had had a heart attack and was in the hospital in Atlanta. My first thought was "Augh!...we have to get him back to Mayo!". But even though Mayo will life-flight their employees and family members back to Mayo for free in case of an emergency, that wasn't to be in this case. Well, I thought, he's in Atlanta, that's a big city, They should have adequate medical care...right? WRONG! The hospital that he was taken to said their "cath lab" was closed for Memorial Day weekend and they wouldn't be able to do a stent procedure until TUESDAY!!! WHAT??!! Do they dismiss all their patients on Fridays too so they can close for the weekend? I was disgusted! I grabbed out my nursing cardiac notes and started gathering ammunition. I called Kim, she is much more assertive than I am, and we talked, both deciding that Dad needed that procedure done TODAY and he needed to be transferred somewhere, anywhere, preferably Mayo. (I think possibly I have become a little spoiled at such premiere health care at my fingertips...!). After reviewing my nursing notes we felt that the longer they waited on the procedure the more damage my dad's heart would have, so Kim called my mom. In the end, my mom ended up calling a family friend who is a cardiologist here at the Clinic and between him, Kim, and my mom, they ended up getting my dad transferred to another hospital in Atlanta that had a 24/7 cath lab. The procedure was done on Sunday, his ALS artery was 100% blocked, so they stented it and he is now fine. When asked if he has any pain he states "only in my leg where they poked a huge hole!" He will be getting out of the hospital today hopefully and they will fly home on Friday. Fun vacation huh?
In other news.... Alex (my brother) and Janice had a baby boy yesterday, 8lb 4oz., 20 inches long. They named him Spencer Aniseko (the middle name is Samoan and was the name of Janice's father). He is very cute. Alex sent pictures and he is adorable!! While the grandchildren boys are NOT winning on my side of the family (5 girls and 4 boys), thanks to this new addition they are making a stronger stand, and could end up tied depending on what our baby ends up being...hopefully we will find out in the next 3-4 weeks!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So sad about your dad, glad to hear he is doing better, You big tease, I thought you were having the boy, when is your date to find out?
Post a Comment