Friday, May 16, 2008

Emergency Room visit number...3 or is it 4? (for this year anyway!)

It was a busy day yesterday! Zach and I played all morning and then we picked the girls up from school and rushed to dress rehearsal. After we finished that, I headed to Applebee's with the kids to meet some friends for dinner. We didn't get to see Brennon all day because he was at work in the morning and then he headed straight to the ball field for some umpiring. After dinner, we headed to Deb's farm to play with the animals. We saw a coyote, 5 dogs, 5 horses, 2 mules, about 80 cows, two birds, some cats and we were just on our way to see the goldfish when my cell phone rang. It wasn't a number I recognized so I almost didn't answer it, but I decided to anyway. Good thing because it was Brennon and he needed us to come to the ball field right away to take him to the ER. He had been standing behind the home plate when one of the players had hit a foul ball. It tipped off the end of the bat and flew straight into Brennon's nose. On the plus side, both teams he was umping for were from Mayo Clinic, so there were ALOT of nurses there...about 30! So, he was well taken care of until I got there. He bled quite a bit (from the inside of his nose and because the skin split on the outside of his nose), got his back rubbed, and had ice on his nose by the time I got to him. We went to the ER and surprise, surprise, his nose was broken in three places and he has a slight concussion. On the plus side, since the ball hit him straight on nothing was out of place yet! You never know what can happen as the swelling goes down, but at the moment it is all in alignment. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for a broken nose except wait for the swelling to go down and see how it heals. If it doesn't heal well, then they can do things to help, but for now he is out of luck! So, 3 doctors, 2 vicodin, and 1 x-ray later, we headed home, put my 4 tired kids to bed (including Brennon of course), and crashed myself. He has some handsome black eyes today and is in a bit of pain, but it could of been worse!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You guys need to start an Er account, I swear you should get a discount fee or how often you are there.