Wednesday, June 20, 2007
First Sticks completed...and no passing out!
Ta-Da! Today I did my first sticks! I did 14 sticks total and was successful at 13. So, I was pretty happy! And I didn't even pass out! There was way too much going on to even have time to think about passing out! First you have to ID the patient, then you have to put your tech code on all the tube labels, then you have to put the tourniqet on and get out your "3 whites" (presssure bandage roll, gauze pad, and alcohol wipes!), find the vein, assemble your needle, and then finally you get to the sticking part! Then you insert your tubes in the proper drawing order and then finally loosen the tourniqet, pick up your gauze, pull out the needle put the safety on, dispose of needle and wrap arm, and label the tubes before the patient even leaves, invert the tubes the proper number of times, enter it into the computer and send it to central processing...so see...way too much to worry about! But I was glad to get through the first ones! None of my patients fainted either...though one of the other students patient's did! Tomorrow I get to practice more...I have to have 120 sticks completed by next Friday...so I'd better get cracking!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment