Friday, August 1, 2008

Mama, there's a watermelon in the garden!

It's that time of year that the garden is ALMOST ready to be harvested! Zachary came in yesterday while my visiting teachers were over and told me excitedly,
"Mama, there's a watermelon in the garden!! Come see!"
"That's exciting, I'll come see in a few minutes!" I replied.
A few minutes later, he came upstairs again, and said "Mama! There's a watermelon in the garden! Come see!".
"Just a minute buddy and I will come!" I replied.
A few minutes later, Zachary came upstairs again. "Mama, look at this watermelon from the garden!" he said as he proudly held up a small 2 inch watermelon!
"Oh, darn it buddy!" I said "You weren't supposed to pick it yet...it's too little, it needed to grow still!!"
Zachary held up his other hand. He was holding the white plastic marker with the picture of the watermelons on it that had been placed in front of the watermelon plant "But mama, it looks just like the picture!"
Which was true, the watermelon in the 1 inch by 1 inch picture on the plant marker looked about as big as the one Zachary had picked!

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

Aww, how cute, but very disappointing. Did you crack it open? Maybe you could start a baby watermelon food trend.

Brennon and Torrey said...

Yep, we opened it cuz we thought hey what's there to lose...but it was solid white inside with the start of a few seeds. Nothing to eat yet! Oh well, I did notice one other flower on the vine yesterday when I was looking...so here's hopin'!

Nat said...

Ha ha ha! That is so funny! We have the same problems with our garden. We call them "Gnomes"!